Saturday, July 25, 2009

Shop Prep

A dress for Anabelle
Fabric is Ugly Duckling by Lizzy House
Getting ready to open our booth has been fun, and by "our" I mean me and my mom. That's right, Mom is partnering with Sniglets again. For all of you, that means she will have a great selection of vintage items available again, as she is the master collector/finder of wonderful baby novelties from the past. I've always been a big fan of mixing new with old, for me, it just feels right! Speaking of finding, what do you think of my new friend up there? This sweet little mannequin is just one of the fruits of mom's great treasure hunting skills. I can't wait to use "Sniglet" in the booth!
Today I received my large order of delicious embroidery blanks, it's the loveliest package of gowns, long sleeve onesies, bibs, and hats... yum! Now I just have to decide what to put on them. This is where I need some help from some of you mothers of boys, I am planning on having a Euro themed design for the girl babies (I won't say what yet) and I want to have a somewhat coordinating design for baby boys. I need your vote! For your newborn baby boy, would you rather have a cute European scooter, or a VW Bug style car? My mind thinks in "girl" ALL the time, so please be kind enough to drop your vote in the comments (all moms, even those with just girls, please vote!).
Mom and I have also been busy brain storming about our display. In my mind, it is going to be just adorable. I picture it as a mixture of shabby chic, beachy, and preppy (which is pretty much the way I would like my entire world to look). The two of us think so much alike in the display department that its actually a bit scary. I don't want to say too much, but I'll leave you with a few mental pictures... robin's egg blue, brown stripes, silhouettes!
Now if my machine will just behave a little better than it did last night, I should be ready to open up shop in no time! For those of you who embroider, I'm sure you've encountered the hell that is the "thread nest". In my cyber search for help (at 3:00 AM) I found that there are virtually no helpful tips online concerning thread nests. To help remedy this, I'll share mine... cuss! And when your machine finally does come around, force it to stitch out some old lady flowers, just to prove to you that it's working again. Let's just say that now my machine knows who's boss! Seriously though, I spent an hour and a half tightening screws, oiling, blowing out lint, re-threading, changing needles, etc. before I finally found a broken thread crammed in a path in the bobbin case. I'm happy to say that after all that, my good ole' Husky is working like a charm today. Thank goodness!
I'll share pictures of my projects soon. Peace out and don't forget to vote!

No comments: